Quick Facts about Amphicars:
- Built in Germany from 1961 to 1968
- Total production was 3,878 vehicles (3,046 Amphicars were
imported into the United States between 1961 and 1967)
- The rear-mounted engine is a 4 cylinder British-built Triumph
Herald producing 43hp
- The Amphicar's electrical system is a Lucas 12 volt positive
ground system with certain items, such as the horn, lighting and
switches, made by Hella and Bosch
- All Amphicars are convertibles and the civilian models were
originally offered in only 4 colors: Beach White, Regatta Red,
Lagoon Blue and Fjord Green (Aqua).
- Selling price ranged from $2,800 to $3,300 There are an
estimated 600 Amphicars left in existence
Ranchero Motors was the sole US distributor for the Amphicar. As it was, Amphicar Corporation of America imported the cars on paper but the cars were shipped directly to various depots controlled by Ranchero Motors. From the depots ( Calstadt NJ, Jacksonville FL, Chicago IL ETC) the cars went to the various dealers.
From records we have it appears that Amphicar Corp of America paid around $1,800 for the cars and sold them to Ranchero Motors for $2,200. The price went up a b it through the years. Phil Rauch was the owner of Ranchero Motors and had a Chrysler Dealership in North Hollywood CA as well as an office in Carlstadt NJ.